Today my family and I whisked on over to Jersey for some wine tasting at Amalthea Cellars. To be honest I've never really been the biggest wine connoisseur, so while I was looking forward to the trip and to see family, I wasn't too keen on wine. Set me up with a bottle of Riesling or a glass of Ice wine and I'll be happy, but aside from that I rarely dabble in new territories. Well, at least that was up until today.
With two separate tasting tests, divided between a behind the scenes look at how wine is made (by a man whom has studied wine in Italy no doubt) I truly don't think I've ever learned so much about the process of wine making. It's amazing what a bit of education and the right pairing can do for someone whom is wine-illiterate! I now have a new appreciation for Merlots.
Overall, I give Amalthea Cellars five out of five stars. The atmosphere of the little chateau resembled what I would envision an Italian cottage looking like. With dim lights, steel spiral staircases, and wood burning stoves...I felt like I was transported back to the early eighteen hundreds.
Who would have known little old New Jersey had so much to offer? Between the education, atmosphere, and wide assortment of wines...I'll definitely be heading back in the near future. For now, you can check out their website here. I recommend ordering a bottle of Metis, a semi dry semi sweet wine perfect for desserts!
Now Playing: Lady Antebellum's "All I want for Christmas is you"

No comments:
Post a Comment