Life Through Different Eyes



 These past few days I have been suffering from sever writers block...and let me tell you it is not fun. I've been traveling around Eastern Pennsylvania with my mom, rediscovering places I once wondered as a child. It's crazy to me how when you get older, everything is so much smaller than you remember.  Like, there was this one ice cream shop that my grandparents would take me to after pre-school. I remember the hill it was near was so big. So much so, that whenever I got ice-cream I would parade on the top of the hill, thinking I was the queen of the world.  Ever since coming back, I've been wanting to revisit my queen sized hill with my kid-sized ice cream cone (because yes I still order everything kid sized). To my surprise, this massive hill may has well have been an ant hill...if you could even call it a hill. Seeing this for my own eyes, got me thinking.

When you look at life through the eyes of a four year old, everything is so much more intrinsic, mystifying, and beautiful. You notice the little things...like a flower that blossoms, or the color of berries, or the way the sunsets, or the sweet taste bitter taste of chocolate. Everything becomes amplified because you are seeing it for the first time. Then, as life moves forward your appreciation of these 'little' things begins to fade, and life becomes jaded. You look at the things that used to wow you, and you shove them under the rug because the newness of their appeal has rusted. 

As I'm getting older, I see this more and more often, even through the eyes of my younger relatives. How do we keep that spark alive in our eyes? 

I can't give an answer to this question, for in all honesty, I don't know the answer. For me, I try to look at everything as if I have never seen it before. When I go for hikes or wonder in the woods...I look for the patterns on the tree, or the vibrant shades of purple in the plants. Everything is beautiful, you just have to look through your four year old glasses. 

They're there. Trust me, they are. 

No comments: