Fix You-Can people really be fixed?





While I was driving downtown yesterday, I figured it was about time to check out the radio stations to pinpoint my favorites and program them into my car. After hitting the scan and listening to clips of a few talks shows, some hardcore rap, one or two sports newscasts, regular news, and a blow out your speaker’s screamo band, I finally settled on a station.  Within minutes of my selection, Coldplay’s ‘Fix You’, came on…and I instantly blasted my stereo as loud as the little thing could go.  This song has always been a particular favorite of mine, ever since seeing them in concert. The electricity up on the stage during this particular performance forever changed the way I listened as well as thought of this song. (If you want to find out why, go to a Coldplay show, and you’ll find your answer).  

I’ll never forget the weeks following this performance, I had such a high about Coldplay, and literally talked about it to everyone who crossed my path.  That was until I talked with one friend whose opinion about the lyrics, struck a nerve with me.  Always having such great music taste, I was in utter shock that he didn’t find this song appealing to say the least. His interpretation of the lyrics left me dumbfounded for over a week. “People cannot be fixed,” he stated.

People cannot be fixed…
People 
cannot
be
fixed....

Could somebody be fixed? Or was this all just some jingled up hoax that happened to have a good rhythm and fall on the lap of a best selling artist?

Up until yesterday, this whole conversation was buried deep within my mind for well over a year now. Yet thanks to the touch of a dial, all these thoughts instantly resurfaced, causing me, yet again to sit and stare this topic directly in the eye.

Can you be fixed? Can someone literally rebuild the broken pieces and master their own puzzle? While my friend may or may not still believe his premonition to be true. I beg to differ. I think with enough willingness and strength coming from within, there is always a chance for ‘rebirth’ or a ‘fresh new start,’ for if there wasn’t then how do you explain people ever moving forth after a loved one’s death, or a failed marriage? If you leave the door open, and allow the right people to walk through, you have a chance at rekindling what you lost. But then you question, who are the right people? What if I open that door, only for it to be slammed in my face…yet again?

Obviously you’ve already built a castle around you…and I don’t blame you. Once your burned why fall back in the fire? Pretty stupid right? But then what is more stupid…living a solace life, where you cover yourself with every sort of pad and cushion possible? Or feeling alive again…with a chance of getting burned? I mean "If you never try, you'll never know ....right?"

I guess this all may sound redundant. To be fixed? Or not to be…it’s all a matter of perspective, of choice…of whether or not you want it. Maybe my friend is right, maybe there are people out there that can’t be fixed. Maybe they don’t want be. Maybe they are content in their windowless tower. And maybe, that works for them.  But maybe, just maybe…there are people who do. Who want to feel that electricity once again.

I mean, pain is inevitable. Instead of fearing it, why not look it in the eye, dead on?
What do you think? Can people be fixed? 



Now Playing: Coldplay's "Fix You"

4 comments:

Ryan M. said...

Hey Alex, my first time reading something you wrote. I'm in an inquisitive mood today so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Can people be fixed?

Absolutely. I do not believe in fate. Rather, we create our own. Every decision we make is the next step towards the fate that we have chosen. If you don't enjoy where you are going, then change. That's more easily said than done, depending on the situation, but we all have the choice. The choice is difficult, but it's there.

Can OTHER people fix you?

Hell no. I've been guided before, but the actual change happened within myself, as it does with everyone else. Every change in your life is for yourself whether you want to admit it or not. Every other change for someone else is with half of a heart.

I don't want to downplay the roles of those guides however. I probably would not be the man I am without my family and friends. They've never changed me, but have absolutely influenced every change I've ever experienced. Without their support, the pain that comes with change is often too much.

Having said that, I liked your last comment.

"I mean, pain is inevitable. Instead of fearing it, why not look it in the eye, dead on?"

That is the best attitude anyone can take about life. Life is out there, it sucks, and it's painful, but it seems a whole lot better if you can laugh if it's face.

A long time ago when I was going through a particularly hard time in my life one of my best friends gave me something with an inscription on it. I was going through a lot of change, and pain, and I was petrified about the uncertainties in my future. His inscription was.

"Operor non vereor ut quod vos can non parco."

It's latin for, "Do not fear that which you cannot avoid."

It's stuck with me ever since. I'm not fearless, but the inevitable is something I try not to worry about. I'll take that quote to my grave, with a smile on my face.

Have a good one.

Alexandra Lasota said...

Ryan- Great insight! And thanks again for sitting through my endless rant on this topic :] Made my afternoon!
I guess what you laid out, was exactly the point I was trying to get at. Only you can allow yourself to be fixed, because while other people can try their hardest, it has to come from within. I do think though, that the people you surround yourself with have a lot to do with the changes that you go through (like you said)!

Thanks again for that quote, I'm jotting it down in my quote book :)! Hope you are doing well!

♫Shawna Sunhome♫ said...

I'm glad I got some time to catch up on your blogs. I love to read your writing. It always has flow and meaning. :) I'm so happy you have many new adventures to inspire you!

Alexandra Lasota said...

Shawna-your comments always have the ability to make any gloomy day of mine, brighter! Thank you! :) I love reading your poetry and writings as well. You have talent girl, keep on keepin' on !! MISS YOU!!