A couple of days ago, I was riding in the car with a friend listening to the music of an artist, who had been perpetually ridiculed by the media. Funny how, because of that reason alone, I too refrained from ever buying or truly listening to the words he had to say. And even more funny? That the television (of all places) can influence a decision.
Well after time warping back a few years to get caught up on this particular artists history/background/musical influence, I sat down to truly listen to a few of his lyrics, and was simply blown away. Not by the melody or the rhythm, but the truth in his words. He was not afraid to simply say it like it is. Controversial or not, he went with it, took a stand, and addressed his side of the issue. Grant it, this was not in all of his songs, for while some of them I didn't truly care for, the majority seem to speak out poetically and profoundly.
And it's crazy to me how some words can just flow so freely, without any hesitation..they just come. It's like they are pieces of a puzzle, and were meant to fit with one another. Sure maybe some are 'explicit,' but maybe they have a purpose. They are supposed to tell a story...and not every story is a fairytale. Life's brutal, my friend...and those who've survived under those circumstances are supposed to tell that story, and tell it that way.
I guess that's why I get sick of the bullshit media and various 'other' groups whom 'disagree' with what lyrical tunes an artist puts out. If you're concerned about your children buying the artists music because you don't want them to be exposed to a certain topic, then maybe you should focus more time on your child, instead of protesting over an artist. And if you don't care for it...then simply don't listen to it. I mean really, it's not that hard of a concept.
Overall why this hits home with me so much, is the fact that I too, write my own lyrics...and would never want somebody to tell me that I am not allowed to express how I feel. Each and everyone of us are entitled to our emotions. We should be allowed to tell our stories, whether pretty or not. No one's life is ever the same. For each of our shoes are completely different. Writing is a form of expression, a form of therapy...allowing us to face and deal with the lives we have led. Too straddle that therapy, is too throw a noose around someones neck and yank on the rope.
Do you really want to sufficate a life...a story?
Now Playing: Eminem ft. Rihanna "Love The Way You Lie"
No comments:
Post a Comment