History in the Making: Adventures in Idaho



As mentioned in my previous post, I spent the last weekend in Lewiston, Idaho and Clarkston, Washington. The views from these high mountains are intrisic to the mind and perplexing to the soul. I once recently read that the desert to many appears monotonous and dry. But many wise and powerful leaders have dabbled in the beauty of the endless horizons, discovering new outlooks and views of life, liberty, and prosperity. After traveling to the summit of Spiral Highway, I can see their point. No photo is an accurate representation of the human eye...but I can only provide a glimpse of the view I was able to see.  The turns of this highway can leave one weezy if traveled to fast, which thankfully wasn't experienced on my journey up the mountain. 

There is a beautiful 'mystic' garden near the top of this mountain, which to some may seem out of place in such a desolate area.  Apparently a few decades ago, there used to be a nightclub on this particular highway, that eventually shut down due to a fire.  After my experience, I am perplexed as to how anyone could possibly drive up this steep windy road after sunset...esp. if they are intoxicated.

Aside from the Spiral highway. We spent the day in Downtown Lewiston. And after browsing through various local shops and talking to a few locals...we found that there are many hidden treasures scattered throughout the area...one of which is a local Dig. Apparently a man that owns a local antique shop hosts digs on his property for fifty dollars, where many fine various gems. The season runs from May to August. If I have a chance to head that way again this Summer, you can bet that I'll be taking part in this.

Other than that I captured quite a few pictures of anything that seemed to catch my eyes: Flowers, a dog at the top of spiral highway, landscape, a patriotic falg (Everyones getting ready for the Fourth) and an open sign at a local restaurant downtown, where we enjoyed turkey sandwiches and a bison burger. We also checked at the local Farmers Market, gambled, shopped, swam, purchased some illegals at a local fireworks stand, munched on some yummy homemade rolls that melt in your mouth, and played a few games of Gin rummy (a game I truly enjoy, or so I have recently discovered. This seems to be the beginning of a very eventful and well traveled summer! Click here to follow my adventures on Twitter. 

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. If you want to get more out of life, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life, you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty." -Alexander McCandless
Listening to:Darius Rucker's History in the Making

No comments: