Into The Wild, has always been a movie near and dear to my heart, for many reasons I will leave unmentioned. Having watched a handful of times...I thought it best that maybe it was finally that time that I plant my butt under the sun and read it. And I am so happy that I did.
I promise not to rant too long on this post, so I'll keep this as short and sweet as possible. After power reading through this mini novel, I found myself intrigued, fascinated, and rather envious of this young mans courage and willingness to leave everything behind him. To simply hit the road with merely a backpack, journal, and camera in hand, traveling our country's beautiful terrain. I've always dreamed of embarking on such a journey. Always.
Nevertheless, there will always be those in this world whom look at Alexander or Chris McCandless' journey as foolish, arrogant, and selfish. While I can much relate to McCandless' sister (Carine) in the novel, having went through a similar experience (with a much brighter outcome), I can see this perspective in a clearer fashion. To leave those you love without any warning or hesitation causes pain, conflict, anger, hurt. But, I can see why he did it. I can see why sometimes you just have to get on that road and walk to a new horizon. I guess to some degree, we all get sick of the irrelevant bullshit people harbor on us day to day. The continuous hypocrisy of double lives. One second you claim you love someone, and the second they turn their back your on looking for the next best thing. After a while, it gets to you, the lies, the games, the constant need for approval...and well nature, nature isn't two faced. It's beautiful and brutal. It can harbor breathtaking views, then suck you into a pit of despair. But at least you know what you are getting into. At least it doesn't trick into an illusion of bliss. Nature is what it is, and doesn't really care if you like it or not. Aside from this Emile Hirsch is the only actor I could ever see playing this role...so if you haven't seen the movie, or read the book...I suggest you do both.
Listening to: Sarah McLachlan's One Dream

No comments:
Post a Comment