For the past few days I have been deeply engrossed in Elizabeth Gilbert 's "Eat, Pray, Love." The book alone, is fascinating, and as one of my friends stated "One of those life changing reads," and I can honestly vouch this claim as a valid statement. There are few books that I have read in my life, that I find I can either A) Relate to...or B) Make me look at particular figures in a whole different perspective. This book, being one of them.
The primary focus of Gilbert's novel is Balance. Balance, Balance, Balance. When we have an addiction to one particular substance in our lives, that substance becomes abused to a point where we lose a part of ourselves. Yet, when we have balance in our lives- everything we do/interact with is in equal proportions... The more balance you have, the more peace you may receive.
There are so many little parts of my life, that I feel I must focus on and nourish, in order to live a more properly 'balanced' life. Not to state that my life is not peaceful, but let's face it...there are many things in this world that each and everyone of us need to work on...to improve upon. As the saying goes; Nobody's perfect.
I guess as I'm reading this, as the summer is approaching, I feel it is time to make another: SUMMER TO DO LIST. (I've been doing this consecutively for the past, well...six or seven summers?) ..I've always been someone who thrives of lists. Trust me, if there is a pen and a paper, I'll transform it into a list. ...as my desk will bear witness of. (Lists of movies to see, books to read, things I have to accomplish throughout the day..ect.) ... Anyway, as I am reading Gilbert's narrative..I find that this time I should not hold out on things that I want to do...and whatever it is that I want, put it on my list. Who cares if it seems impossible...so many things that seem impossible ..are possible. So here I go:
1. Travel to Europe.
2. Try The "World's Best Pizza" in Naples, Italy.
3. Eat a Mussel.
4. Explore Nashville, every bit of it.
5. Publish a book.
6. Open my own business
7. Master guitar.
8. Learn Italian.
9. Test out Wakeboarding (again)
10. Buy a yoga mat
11. Space Needle Dinner
12. Check out the infamous "Gum Wall" in Seattle.
13. San Diego Zoo!
14. Climb Rainier...(Not the whole mountain).
15. Sing Karaoke SOLO.
16. Accomplish MOVIE and READING lists.
17. Make an impact on someone’s life. (must be positive)
18. Rewalk the Boardwalk in Atlantic City.
19. Explore my hometown. (West Chester).
20. Make something out of nothing.
21. Freefall jumping. aka Conquer fear of heights.
22. Run 10 miles. Bike for 20.
23. Lean how to make Coffee.
24. Get closer with God.
25. Take day trips to absolutely no-where.
26. Learn how to write a song, melody.
27. Meet new people.
28. Continue collecting unique stationary.
29. Invent a new dessert.
30. Write more hand written letters.
31. Experience "Love" in some form.
32. Learn to Fly
33. Give a stranger a 100 dollar bill.
34. Send a message in a bottle.
35. Go fishing
36. Spend a day in silence
37. Throw a surprise party
38. Make a music video
39. Learn how to Salsa dance.
40. Shake someone’s hand who has truly impacted the world.
41. Scuba diving!
42. Attend a showing of Saturday Night Live
43. Raise a puppy.
44. Ride a Gondola
45. Visit ALL the continents.
45. Visit Fiji
46. Visit a Third world country
47. Volunteer
48. Meet my favorite country artists.
49. Scrapbook
50. Ride a horse in Colorado
51. Buy flowers at pikes place
52. Take a breathtaking picture
So maybe all cannot be accomplished in a Summer, but hopefully I can accomplish some! :)
Lastly, this song is beautiful. Never been on any of his albums..and I randomly stumbled across it on youtube. There's something about it I can relate too...<3
"She bought a ticket to nowhere.
And told me that she's sick of this life
She said don't worry it's all right..
Because she doesn't want to see people cry..
Oh, I wish that you could see..
How beautiful you are to me
Baby, baby hold on, oh please don't let go.
Baby, baby be strong.
So much you don't know.
Life is crazy sometimes, I know it's not easy.
But baby baby, hold on.
I wiped the tears from her face
She's forgotten how her smile used to be.
She holds my hand and she whispers
Tell me why you love a loser like me..
Oh I wish that you could see...
How beautiful you are to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment