
This past Sunday I journeyed on up to the town of Hershey for tea, a reading, and an all around good time. As you can see in the pictures above this event, literally, was like a blast to the past splashed together with some good old traditional customs. Between a three course meal featuring tea sandwiches, scones, and the most decadent fudge around, and a room that was so grand...I could only imagine wedding receptions being held there, I was exactly where I wanted to be. After the meal and a few minutes of chatter, Charles Dickens entered the room with such a loud and booming voice...it was as though time stopped and everything, even the silverware, focused solely on him. Now, never having been to a reading before I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Would he stand on a pulpit and read the novel by hand? Would he parade around the room? Would he recite alone? Within seconds my questions were answered; this talented man took it upon himself to recite the work by memory all while pacing around the room, acting out each and every character carefully and accurately. I've never in my life seen someone with so much energy and passion. The way he acted out scenes was like an art all its own.
This experience was one I will always remember and treasure in my heart; not only because I am an English major, but because this is simply a part of history. To have the legacy of such a well-accomplished writer present one of the most well renowned Christmas tales is simply mind blowing to me, and I couldn't be more grateful to have experienced it. As I have recently found out this man in fact makes it a tradition every year to host this experience at various venues. Whether you are an English major or not...I suggest signing up. It is well worth every bit of the price and is a memory that you will hold onto forever.
Now Playing: Ke$ha's "Crazy Beautiful Life"



1 comment:
Alex, I really like this post! Being a book enthusiast myself, as well as a devout lover of tea I definitely relate. What an exciting & historical experience to have. Books, history, and tea? Just a few of some of the wonderful things life has to offer :)
Post a Comment