Sadly, I chose to jump on this bandwagon to comfort myself, when I held Boston at the tip of my fingers...and it simply fell to the waist side.
To be honest, I really can't complain. I mean, yeah, Boston was on the agenda..but I really had been able to visit some other pretty astounding places. While I could get into the entire story of "Why I missed Boston by 10 miles," I'd rather stick with what I did see...Salem!
Salem, Salem, Salem. As an English major and history buff, Salem ended up being the perfect fit for ending a vacation, for it is the home of the Witch Trials and birthplace of Nathaniel Hawthorne's "House Of Seven Gables" and "The Scarlet Letter."
It's always been mind blowing to me to read about the events of the past and then connect them with the location and physical build of where it went down. If you know me, you'll know I have always stated that learning is two-fold...one part books, the other experience. Intertwining what you read and what you see, to me, puts things in perspective. I don't know maybe I'm just a weird English freak, but whenever I visit a place that I've read about, or rather, a place where something was written, I try to imagine myself as that person and attempt to understand what about this place lead or inspired the author to tell their tale the way they did.
While I may not have pictures that coincide with what I have written (I had a few issues with my camera at that moment) I did happen to snap a few shots of the historic downtown area. The ship in the picture below is called "The Friendship" and is the largest wooden, Coast Guard certified, sailing vessel to be built in New England in more than a century. " Overall what really appealed to me was the structure and overall stature of the ship...totally screamed Pirates Of The Caribbean to me. And the other picture as you can tell, was taken in the graveyard.

No comments:
Post a Comment