Sometimes when you lose, you win.

Tonight I watched a beautiful movie about a man who dies and enters an alternate reality. I cannot name this reality heaven, nor can I name it hell-for this reality has no name..but is simply the figment of our minds. The story was rather complex...but as an english major, I found this intriguing and interesting.

The man dies in a car accident, and the wife suffers severly from his death...causing her to take her own life. So Romeo and Juliet if you ask me. Anyway...the man is wondering through a tropical paradise, where I mean everything and anything is radiantly beautiful-so much so that it is like its own painting. As soon as he hears word of his wifes death...he is stricken with greif at the fact that she is not in this alternate world with him. Come to find out, she is in a horrid place which is slathered with broken glass and smoky skys. Kind of "heaven" vs. "hell" scenario if you can pick up what I'm saying. Anyway, many people in HIS realm instruct him to stear clear of "hell" because if he remains there too long..he will be ban there forever.

But as we all know...True Love will stop at nothing to keep the two from seperating. So the man ventures down to 'hell' to help his wife transition back to heaven. As he is there, a man tells him if he stays far past 3 minutes, he will be stuck in 'hell' forever. Leaving paradise behind, the man decides to stay in hell with his wife..saying "I'd rather give up heaven...and live in hell to hang around you." After a few seconds both close their eyes and are then in paradise.

I could not tell you how much I enjoyed that movie. It was beautiful in its own spastic way. I guess what gets me though...is how life is all about the way in which you look at it. It's not about the physical...but about the thought. What I mean by this is that...even though the man may have appeared in a physical sense, to be in "heaven"..he was really in his own "hell" and only until he entered "Hell" was he in "heaven" again.

Which obviously has my mind scattering at such a late hour. Maybe it's not about where we are or who we are with...but more about what is within our mind and within our hearts. For it is these thoughts that stand the test of time. It is these thoughts that replay through our minds over and over and over like a DVD player. It's thoughts that help us make sense of the past, present, and future...and it is thoughts that guide us through life. So while maybe the 'physical' world may be grim, for some...your mind will get you through anything...anything at all. In the end, Life is the way you look at things. So, which way are you going to look?

The movie, was called "What Dreams May Come" -Check it out..it's amazing.

No comments: