It's funny how spending time with yourself does wonders to not only you, but your character as well. The past few months I have been blessed ..with I guess you could say a blessing in disguise. As I am continually on the job hunt for full time employment...I still have had the capability to work part-time with a pretty great team, as to which I am very greatful. But I guess during this ample amount of 'down' time, I have spent quite a bit of time by myself. In all honesty, this is nothing new. For, to some degree...this is how I have spent the majority of my days since I was little.
I guess, I've always been comfortable being on my own, because I guess in some ways I enjoy it. But throughout most of my youth, this 'time' - has always been filled with homework, activities, and/or work. And now, now that homework has vanished, activities come here and there, I have been able to stop and figure myself out. (As I am still in the process of doing) And have discovered that I may actually enjoy some things that I never did before.
Now those of you who know me, know that I am an English major. Truth be told, up until a while ago. I hated reading. Literally, hated it. Put a book infront of me, and I'd shove it in my drawer. But when it came time to decide what I wanted to major in, English was one of my first picks. In all honesty, to this day I'm not sure why I ever chose it...but I am so thankful that I did. I knew from the start, that math would never be my 'thing,' even though it seems to be the chosen favorite of both the Lasota and Baran family.
I remember the first day of going to pick up my books. I'll never forget the cashier walking out with two full sized bags of books. And when I say full size, I mean full size. At least 30 to 40 + books I took home that day. And as I carried them out, I began dreading the journey that I was about to take. Cause I mean, seriously...for not being a reader...this was quite a load.
The beginning was pretty tough, but as time went on, I began to really start enjoying the different adventures these books presented. I mean there were so many different outlooks, interpretations of so many different time periods. Whomever said you can tell a lot about a culture by their literautre...is completely and utterly correct.
Anyway- As time persisted and I began to start my second journey of DTC...I had had it with reading. For a while there it peaked my interest, but with a load like that for the next few semesters, I had grew weary of even looking at a book...up until recently.
For the past two months, I have found myself diving back into reading-but have noticed a change. I guess when there is such a huge load of literature to plow through day in and day out...it's hard to actually enjoy the adventure that you are on. But now with time on my side, I actually can.
After recently purchasing Nicholas Spark's "The Last Song," I found myself putting the book down far more often than I expected. Now, don't get me wrong it was not a bad read by any means-in fact it was quite the opposite. Yet, as I read this novel, and began to enjoy it...I felt myself wanting to pro-long the story. I didn't want to read it fast, because I didn't want the adventure to end, even if I knew I was about to embark on something new and exciting. And I guess as I have most recenetly stummbled across that realization, I have also realized that this is also how I live my life.
So many things in this world these days are rushed. People want instant gratification. If it's not in this minute, then it better be in the next. I guess, I just could never live like that. Which is why I don't think I could ever fit into a city enviorment. Yeah- I like to accomplish a lot. Yeah, I like to make use of my time. But when it comes to people, places, events, and yeah I guess even work at times...I do like to extend my time, because I mean why rush it? Before you know it twenty years have vanished and you'll look back on those days that you wished would have flown by..and wish ...wish for them back.
There are people in your life that are only there for a brief moment in time, and instead of waiting and wanting the next best thing to come along, I would rather enjoy the people who are at my side at that moment..because life will never be like the way it was today. Things change. People change. So I guess as I'm "growing" - I'm learning to take the time with life. Enjoy the Slowness. Enjoy the Company. The books. Enjoy the stories...because there will be a point in your life, where you will look back at these times in your life and regret having ever wished them away.
Anyway- Enough of my rammblings for the day. I'm going to leave you with the trailer of the book I have just finished reading. While I am not a Miley Cyrus fan, and have begun to believe that movies can never do a book justice, I still am TRYING to have high hopes for this film. -- I guess if you are ever lost in life, this book could be the one for you. <3
No comments:
Post a Comment