Looking for a good read?

Books are works of art that use words instead of paint. When you visit a museum, think of the art works that you see. What are their commonalities? Do they have any?


Often times the answer is no. Each work of art is different. As it should be, because every person in this world is their own living art work. No two people will ever have the same brush strokes or color schemes because no two people are ever the same. Sure they may have commonalities; Joe Schmo and I may both have been to Europe, but that doesn't mean our eyes have seen the same things. Even if we were in the same place at the same time, looking at the exact same building, our stories will be different. Maybe he noticed the striking architecture, while I noticed the haggard old lady clinging to her last few dollars. This is what makes our world beautiful. Our eyes see different thing and tell different stories.


To you, books of this generation may be all the rage, but to me they are like birthday candles, bright but fleeting. Every time I enter a book store or a library I am constantly digging through shelves, searching through bins...trying to find some tale that will make my Sunday night more adventurous and inspiring then my own. Yet with twenty first century novels like "Twilight" overfilling the bookshelves, I myself have been having a difficult time finding anything worth picking up.


Don't get me wrong, Stephanie Meyer's work may be fresh and modern, but to me the details and structure fall flat. Let's just say that after C.S Lewis, my life in books had went dark.


That was up until a few weeks ago when my aunt mentioned a novel by Chris Cleave entitled "Little Bee." Having been let down by quite a few novels this year I was hesitant to give Cleave a shot, but figured why not. After purchasing the book this past Monday, it sat at my bed like a patient child aching to be held. Finally the next evening, I picked up my ticket and jumped on Cleave's adventure to London and Nigeria. And for once? I was not disappointed. Within minutes Cleave pulled me into a world, into a story, that I had never even thought possible. To me a successful book, a successful author, will do just this.


I won't give the story away, because that will take all the fun out of it. But if you are looking for a good read this weekend this is the book for you. You'll be blown away by the character structure and plot detail in this novel. Trust me, this is one adventure I can assure that will be worth the ride. I'm off to take the pie out of the oven (My next recipe blog)! Hope you take my advice! 


Now Playing: Lady Antebellum "Hello World"

No comments: