Native American Beauty Pageant


While Bonnie and I were checking out the Rodeo scene at the Pendleton Round Up, we also stopped by to see the Native American Beauty Pageant.

At about ten in the morning over a hundred girls from ages two to about sixteen crowded the streets. Completely decked out in tribal wear, these little ladies waited patiently in line for their name to be announced.  I have to admit with such vibrant color and detail scattered around me, it was rather difficult to pinpoint a shot.

Luckily after a few minutes I spotted the one little girl who I knew would be my golden ticket. There was just something about her complexion that screamed for a photo. Obtaining this on the other hand, was going to be harder than I anticipated. Now while almost every single girl would smile, pose, and embrace the camera,  this little one was the exception.  With her back faced toward me, I was literally on my knees waiting for her to make a quick turn of the head. And lucky for me, all the waiting paid off. With a quick glace over her shoulder I snapped, and knew I had exactly what I came for.

In some ways, it is kind of like dating. There are the those that want to date, and then there are those that are the challenge. And once you find the challenge, you'll literally wait on your hands and knees for them to give you five seconds. Because once they do, you're beaming. Kind of ironic and possibly a bit sad, but totally true.

Overall, I was impressed by the creativity of the Native American Tribes. There art work is phenomenal and the girls are so beautiful! Seriously, anyone know where I can trade a bit of Polish in for some Native American?

Now Playing: Billy Joel "Just The Way You Are"

1 comment:

♫Shawna Sunhome♫ said...

Wow. Beautiful pictures. That would have been neat to see. :) Loved the story too.